Linux Embedded Systems
Our operating system (OS) of choice for embedded systems development is Linux. There are a number of reasons why we generally prefer Linux over the alternatives like Windows and RTOS, including:
- All the source code is available so we have complete control of everything and can precisely target the hardware
- Security is easier to manage and control, because the OS is so clearly defined
- It is easier to configure and manage upgrades than other OS
- We are able to fix any issues that arise ourselves, at any operating level
- We can use C, C++ or other languages as appropriate
- Windows comes with lots of parts which aren’t usually needed, and aren’t clearly defined
- There are no licensing fees
There are times when it is not appropriate to use an operating system. See our operating system decision page for a discussion on the issues involved.
The key part for us is to always to talk to the client to really understand their requirements, and those of their clients in turn.
We do use other operating systems if a client particularly requires it.
If you are considering developing products using embedded processors with a Linux (or any other) operating system, or have one needing enhancing, then do contact our Linux experts